Senior Game Designer
As a Senior Designer, you’ll lead the design and execution of a project, developing and maintaining a clear creative vision alongside the Studio Director.
You’ll be expected to manage small teams in focused prototypes to prove out this initial vision, and hold responsibility for delivering full documentation during pre-production – in addition to working with other discipline leads in delivering a vertical slice that will set the standard for the final product.
You will be able to work collaboratively across the team to ensure the best possible ideas are stress-tested and realised in-game. Ultimately – your intuition, borne out of the experience, will help guide a project from conception to release and beyond.
- Lead the creation of full game design documentation for assigned projects
- Lead analogue and digital prototyping sessions during pre-production to prove out the initial vision
- Identify and prioritize required feature specifications, set the standard for these specs, and review and sign off on all specifications from junior team members
- Manage regular internal testing sessions on projects, both within the team and across the wider studio, and using this data to influence future design decisions
- Have a strong understanding of product-focused industry trends to the extent you are confident leading the design and balance of the meta-systems and economies that sit behind our games
- Create and approve high-level overviews of new designs and concepts to quickly convey ideas both internally AND externally
- Work closely with Production, Engineering and Art Leads to make project critical decisions that ensure game quality is maintained without jeopardizing the delivery of game milestones
- Attend regular publisher calls/meetings as the key representative for the design on your project. You will be comfortable managing publisher feedback with exemplary communication skills
- Hold the creative vision for your project, signing off on all features when they are implemented to your satisfaction
- Report on game progress regularly and articulately to internal stakeholders (directorate), calling out areas of success and concern far enough in advance that strategic solutions can be found
- Produce original new concepts and respond to publisher RFPs as and when dictated by Studio/Creative Director
- Assist in maintaining a project backlog during production and into live-operations, agreeing priorities with product and publishers in regular stakeholder settings
- Support the junior designers on your team, managing their responsibilities to ensure they are able to develop essential skills, teaching both by face-to-face mentoring and ensuring your work is exemplary
We are seeking an experienced game designer who can jump in and immediately get their hands dirty. Ideally, you should have:
- 5+ years of game design experience within a studio environment (with at least 3+ years focused on Free-to-Play development)
- Proficient in Word, Powerpoint and Excel
- Exceptional understanding of game structure and systems
- Exceptional ability to produce clear and workable documentation
- Wide knowledge base of past and present games, across all genres
- Able to communicate your ideas clearly, concisely and efficiently
- Adaptable and able to quickly pick-up new skills and ways of working
- Comfortable working closely with others and looking after creative teams
It is important to note that this role will predominantly focus on free to play titles – and it is vital that you have a clear passion, understanding, and experience in developing free-to-play games.